Wednesday, March 31, 2010

25 years ago today ....

Twenty-five years ago tonight I had been into Boeing, had my picture made for my badge, shown my birth certificate to prove who I was and that I was an American citizen, been fingerprinted for a security clearance (due to military work back then), and was getting myself ready for the first day on my new career - which began April 1, 1985.

So ...

Tomorrow (Thursday) is my 25th anniversary of working for Boeing and Spirit combined.

I guess the biggest thing to celebrate, particulary tomorrow, is the fact that I am still employed there.

Sadly, tomorrow is also the last day of working with a number of my long-time colleagues and (in many cases) friends. Many of our IT jobs have been outsourced. The transiton of those responsibilities is this Friday, making tomorrow the last day that quite a number of people will be working for Spirit. Some were fortunate and secured positions with the outsourcing suppliers or a different position in Spirit. Others did not.

Now you understand why I say that do "celebrate, particularly tomorrow, ... the fact that I am still employed there."

It is becoming a rare experience for someone to be with a company 25+ years - unless they own it. Just think of how many mornings I have driven to the same (well, roughly the same!) location. [For non-Wichitans, the original Boeing site, which now is comprised of Spirit and what is left of Boeing-Wichita, spans what would be several city blocks - roughly 1 mile by 2 miles.]

So, I do celebrate this personal milestone.

However, my celebration will be away from the office, not at it, due to the very unfortunate circumstances of the day at the office tomorrow.

No comments: