Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Today is a GREAT day!


Today is a GREAT day!  Today is a day to truly REJOICE!!
I went for my last radiation treatment this morning!

It’s been a long haul since I was diagnosed in early November.  But through God’s grace and His ever-enduring faithfulness, I have made it through all the dips and turns.  He was here with me when my muscles hurt so badly from the chemo that I could barely move.  He was here with me when I was going through the pain of the radiation burns (which are still healing).  He was here with me each of the three times a day I would cringe because it was time to go wash them and I knew how painful it would be.  He was here with me when the yeast infection underneath the burns got so out of control that it required IV treatments.  He was here with me when I had the allergic reaction to we’re still not sure what that got even worse during that time to the point my neck and face were not only red but swollen up like a pumpkin.  Through every good day and bad day, He has been here with me, giving me the grace to continue to put one foot in front of the other one and keep moving forward.

Some people ask where God is when something bad happens.  They seem to think He has deserted them or turned His back on them.  If only they could see and understand that is so NOT TRUE.  As it is also NOT TRUE that He “puts disease on us to teach us a lesson.”  It’s really sad that some who claim to believe in Him believe these lies from the enemy about Him.  Instead, “we know that all things work together for good to those who love God” (Rom 8:28).  He will take the bad things that come our way and turn them for good in our lives, if we allow Him to do so. 

I have, however, learned a lot during this time – about God, about myself, and about others.  J  One thing has been “[His] strength is made perfect in weakness. … For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Cor 12:9-10)  I have seen Him give me strength to do what I needed to do when I really was at some of my weakest points.  I’ve had occasions when I didn’t think I could get up and go, but His strength would rise within me and I would be “okay” to move and do what I had to do and then, when the task was done, it would lift and I would be back in the state I was in before it rose within me, but the task was completed.

I have also learned that “my God shall supply all [my] needs.” (Phil 4:19)  Not only has He provided for me financially during this season of unemployment that became extended due to my health issues, He has also provided in many other ways.  As one example, when I was “in the press” to get my house ready to be put on the market, He provided just the right person to help (along with her family!).  The list of others rising to help at just the right time, or call to encourage or pray with me when it was needed, etc., could go on and on. 

My God is a Faithful God.

As I drove home from the final radiation treatment this morning, I cried the whole way home.  Partially, it was emotional release to finally be finished with treatments.  Mostly, it was tears of thanksgiving and gratitude to my loving, faithful God for getting me through this and being with me each step of the way.  I give Him thanks and praise! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So real...so TRUE. God has blessed you Laurie and you have certainly been a faithful servant to Him. I love and admire your Faith, Courage and the person you are. God is REAL and ALIVE.

Love,
Sandra